Sunday, January 31, 2010

One resolution at a time.

Three years ago, i made a resolution. It was to save the world. 


Yeap, as cliche as it sounds, i am one of those people who believes that i can change the world. Come to think of it, i have no qualms in being a 'Vigilante'. Yeah, i know it's illegal and all that crap but it's not an offence if i don't get caught. 


Haha, nah i'm just kidding. 


So, yeah, back to my 3 year old resolution, Saving the world. 


I realized i can't save the world. Why? I don't have accomplice like Elle from Criminal Minds and Dexter Morgan from Dexter. Haha, i'm just kidding. I have a list of people i wanna behead but i'm thinking, let them go through life, it's so much torturous than anything in the world.


What the hell am i babbling about?


Yes, saving the world. Ahh, the sweet smell of blood of the perpetrator trickling down to the floor. Okay yeah, i'm getting weird. 


Anyways, i think that saving the world might be too big of an ambition for me. So i decided to help one person at a time. Starting with me.


I feel like to help people, we need to help ourselves first. If we are able to discipline ourselves and get our minds to do what we set out to do, then there's no barriers we can't go through. 


So after that, i'm thinking of adopting a child from a country stricken with poverty. Once again, it's too much to grasp when i'm even trying to live day to day with my measly salary. So i let that one go.


A few weeks ago while blogging about my new year's resolution, i was reminded of my resolution three years ago. And i start looking into 'Child Sponsoring'


I tried asking everyone i know that would know about this, and i get the most information from Rin. So thank you babe for helping me with this resolution of mine. 


Rin told me that World Vision do child sponsorships so i went to take a look. I knew about World Vision but i didn't think so much about it since i wasn't working the past year. And this year, since i am working, i guess it's high time i start on it.


So bascially, i'm sponsoring a 7 year old girl from Myanmar. I shall call her KK, since i'm not allowed to expose her identity. Must be because they're all underaged. But when i first see her profile, i felt a bond with her. A connection.


I don't know. Probably it's because i like kids. And kids in poor countries always have a place in my heart. 


Okay, my reason in not sponsoring a child in Singapore is because i feel that Singaporeans are too blessed. No matter which social class you are in, you can always survive in Singapore. Other than that, we have tons of charity organisations in Singapore and they're all more than willing to help. 


But to sponsor a child in Singapore, to me, is irrelevant. If you can survive living in Singapore, you don't need sponsorships. 


So, yes, that's my reason in sponsoring someone outside of Singapore. Cause they don't have the same privileges as us Singaporeans have.


We have clean water, we have very helpful people, we have houses to live in. Clothes to wear and we have access to the best education and health care services in Singapore.


I don't know, though, cause this is my opinion. You might not agree with it but i feel like my money is more useful for people outside of Singapore. It's a choice i feel is good for me.


So yeah, basically thats it. I know it's a short post but i did promise to blog about my decision to sponsor a child. 


Hey, maybe when i get more financially stable, i might to sponsor another one! This time, in Africa. 

No comments: