Saturday, June 28, 2008

I never viewed my life as something slipping away.. (My Reflection Essay)

As I sit here alone in the room staring at the screen of the laptop thinking about what to write for this essay, I can't help but reminisce;

I used to think that nobody else mattered except me. That was how selfish I was. Not to mention, also conceited. I used to think that only my opinion mattered and I would try to be right with whatever means possible, even if it meant hurting the feelings of other people.

That was probably because I used to hang out only with people who shared my thoughts and views. I guess I have a lot more to learn.

During my years in ITE, I realized that I'm not always right. Being with people who also have personality you can’t tolerate, not only test your patience but also your competency on how you handle difficult situations. After being in Polytechnic,
mixing with different types of people with various personalities opened up my mind to a whole new dimension of opinions.



Having a diverse group of friends made me realized that there's more to it than just thinking about oneself, I have to learn to be tactful, be honest and not sound rude at the same time and also that not a lot of people can tolerate my overpowering personality. 




Other than that, having friends that have the same goals as me have shown me that a competition is healthy as it pushes me to strive much harder than what I already put in. My friends are also a gracious lot as we congratulate one another whenever an individual scored higher than us but at the same time still encouraging the ones that did not do as well.

All this have made me into a much stronger, less arrogant and more socially aware person.

I do believe that one day I can change the world; in fact, every single one of us can do it. But before we can change the world, the first person we have to change is ourselves. To change ourselves we have to learn to love ourselves, accept each flaw and embrace all strength we have.

Having living for almost 22 years, there are times when it gets hard to stand up for what I believe in. Peer pressure, social acceptance and family upbringing play a huge part into shaping my thinking, my beliefs and my passion.



There was a phase in my life where being accepted by friends and society are what matters most and there were times where temptation of going against my beliefs won over self-control. Yeah it felt good for a while but after that, I realized that it was stupid as one by one; my friends left me when I got into trouble.

It's hard, yes of course it is but when I reflect and think, seriously think using my brain, I'll know if the things I did or about to do is right or wrong. You don't need to do a huge thing to make a change, or to stand up for what you think is right.
All you need are self-assurance that you can do it without expecting anything else in return, confidence that you can change a little bit at a time and lots and lots of hard work.

I never was a diligent student in secondary school. I threw in the towel which resulted in my miserable results during my GCE 'O' Levels. I saw how disappointed my parents were and secretly, I was disappointed in myself.

After that incident, I promised myself to work harder and definitely to work smarter. Having to achieve what I achieved today, though not commendable or recognized, it’s safe to say that I can do whatever when and if I put my mind to it.

Although many mistakes have been made during the journey of my life, I'm actually really proud of myself for being able to get this far. Mistakes were made so that we can learn. Nobody's perfect, so why be hard on yourself. Now, I concentrate on nothing else but to achieve my goals and for now, that is to walk down that stage during my graduation day shaking the hand of the person who will hand me my
diploma.

That will have to be my proudest moment in my education journey.




These 3 years in Temasek Polytechnic have taught me a lot about myself, about my abilities, and also my intelligence. Even though Engineering isn't really a sector I want to work in, it doesn't matter as being able to go through the experience in Poly is more than what I can read from a book in a lifetime.

To me, giving is much more precious than taking. I will want to do something that will able me to share what I have gained and at the same time make a change. This is where my goal to work in Singapore Prison Service comes in. I believe in giving people a second chance and sometimes they all need someone to show that he or she cares, and I care.

Till next time, another satisfied TP student signing off....


'Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.' - Adam Quincy Jones

'Most true happiness comes from one's inner life, from the disposition of the mind and soul. Admittedly, a good inner life is difficult to achieve, especially in these trying times. It takes reflection and contemplation and self-discipline.' - William L Shirer




No comments: