Monday, April 25, 2011

25. What do you think it means to be a good parent?

I actually ask myself that question all the time. I mean, i obviously have no idea cause i don't have children, except dear daughter that i'm sponsoring but that's a whole different thing. 

All i can do for her is write letters to her and buy her some things. I don't think i'm really spoiling her since they're not exactly expensive things and i don't buy her things all the time. I only get her letter once a month or once in two months, depending on what's going on there. 

Aww, i miss her, i should write her another letter. 

Well, anyway, back to the question. What does it mean to be a good parent? 

This what i'm actually afraid of. I see all the people who are parents and whenever i see something bad about them, i'd promise myself to never do those things they do. I am so afraid that i'd be a bad parent to my future children. 

Honestly, i am still wondering what makes a good parents. 

I guess when they're still kids, it's not so much of a problem cause they haven't really have that much things to talk back about. I'm not saying that it's easier to deal with infants/toddlers, i'm just saying that it's easier to track where they are cause they are there, as compared to teenagers. 

With that said, i think it is up to us how our children turn out. Yeah sure, there are certain traits that the children are already born with, but how they treat other people and how they deal with things, it's all up to us. They learn from what we do, so i think firstly, to be a good parent is to really watch what you do in front of your kids. 

Don't spoil them, of course. This is something that i am really afraid of. I love kids, and i think i might get my future kids whatever they want. 

I think it's good to actually let your children make their own choices so they can learn the consequences of each other their choices, and at the same time be independent and intuitive. 

Oh my god, people reading this are probably thinking i talk a lot of crap. Haha only because i don't know what makes a good parent. I don't even know what you need to do when it comes to parenting. 

All i know is that my parents have worked so hard and taught me so many things for me to be the person i am today. Yes, that's true, i am not perfect but i am thankful at how i turned out. 

I am not saying my parents are perfect parents, cause i see some mistakes they have done before but i feel like they are good parents to me cause my brother and i grew up with strong beliefs and moral values. 

People say, "Spare the rod, spoil the child", but my parents have never used the cane on us and we turned out fine. They believe that if you constantly use the rod on your children, they start to feel immune to all the beatings and become more rebellious. 

They imposed strict regulations when it comes to studies and mannerisms but they do reward us whenever we do something good. They do compare us though, but i think it's just so that we would do much better than what we have put in. 

I do appreciate my parents a lot for what they have done and sacrifice to make us good people. I don't know what actually makes a good parents, but i would say my parents did a darn good job with us.

No comments: